Tim Richardson

Melbourne, Australia

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Career advice and motivation from Ike Siddiqi

E-mail Print PDF

Career Advice and Tips: Professional and Personal Motivation

In memory of Ike Siddiqi, who passed away in 2007.

Ike was inspirational, particularly for those of us starting out. For a long time I've had this content on my website, but now I republish it after tidying it up. It is still refreshing and challenging to read. This content is copyright Ike Siddiqi 1997 and published with permission. 

Here are some miscellaneous thoughts - saying - truisms - or Ikeisms. You didn't ask for them, but you are going to get them anyway for FREE. Some are not necessarily original.

Many guide me in my business and everyday life. Some have guided you over the years. Most are simple - "To me very important".

• Define objectives clearly - All objectives MUST be associated with profitability
  • Management does make a difference
  • People really are important - They really are!
  • Respect people’s valuable time, they will really respect you - Never promise something you can not deliver, you’ll only lose your face
  • Remember your commitments to your colleagues, they will trust you the next time
  • You get productivity through people - Not machines, Planes or Computers
  • Set high standards and achieve them - for your people and for your self
  • tim-richardson.net
  • A sales/service organisation should be reminded frequently that it has been established to serve the customer, not to serve the company
  • The customer is the most important person in the world - think that way - act like it - prove it, on a daily basis
  • Operate as a "Hands on" value driven manager. Know your job and participate at the lowest possible level of activity
  • Get in the field - with the customer - with the people. That's where the action is!
  • Rule #1 - The customer is always right -- Rule #2 - If the customer is ever wrong, RE-READ THE RULE #1 again!
  • Don't forget the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. - It's more generally applicable to the majority of people
  • M.B.W.A. - Management By Wandering Around - good for people - shows you're interested in them. You'll learn
  • Discipline is the soul of an organisation. It makes small numbers formidable; Makes success available to the weak, and esteem to all
  • Do it - fix it - try it. Don't plan it to death - take action
  • The team - the spirit - believe in it - live with it - nurture it!
  • Don't ever forget the power of a turned-on group - It's awesome
  • Excellence and the pursuit of it should be a passion
  • The whole world is about making things and selling things
  • The only true edge in competition is service & relationship
  • Fight for what you know and believe to be right - It's not always popular or easy but fight for it
  • From my dad Get hell for doing something, but never get hell for doing nothing
  • Be practical with your objectives, there is a very thin line between "Vision" and "hallucination"

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT ...

From Vince Lombardi:

"Some guys play with their heads. You've got to be smart to be #1 in any business. But more important, you have got to play with your heart"

• Another Lombardi "I firmly believe that any person's finest hour - his/her greatest fulfilment to all he/she holds dear - is that moment when he/she has worked his/her heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious"
  • One from my mother, at the very end:
    "Doing the business is not a way to make a living. It is a crusade -- to be the best at what we do"
  • I believe that every person must risk something as he/she goes through life, so that in the end he/she does not have to risk everything
  • Salesmanship begins when the customer says - "NO!"
  • Enthusiasm is contagious - AND so is the lack of it!
  • Success is not the matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be wanted - It is a thing to be achieved
  • Don’t worry about things you do not control or change (it is only bad for your health) - There is no limit to what a person can do, and where he/she can go, If he/she doesn't care who gets the credit
  • Never tell people "HOW" to do things. Tell them "WHAT" to do and they will surprise you with THEIR ingenuity and ability!
  • In conclusion, from my mother: "Even at young age, children sell their ideas to every body. It does not matter what you sell, it is how you sell"

A PERSONAL OBSERVATION

I'm the fellow who goes into a restaurant, sits down and patiently waits while the waitresses finish their chatting before taking my order.

I'm the fellow who drives into a petrol service station and would like a little service - but there is none - not even the cashier is friendly or courteous.

I'm the fellow who goes into a department store and stands quietly while the clerks finish their little chit-chat.

I don't complain !!!!!

You might say that I'm the good guy -- but do you know who else I am?

"I AM THE SAME GUY WHO NEVER COMES BACK"

It amuses and amazes me to see business and corporations spending so much money every year to get me back - when I was already there in the first place! And all they needed to do was to give some service -- extend a little courtesy!

I believe, everybody in Origin can only profit from above mentioned thoughts and will realise, how easy salesmanship can be.

Ike Siddiqi - Origin/International, Brussels

If you want to start or end a presentation with some humor to break the ice with your audience (customer), you may try the next few lines as a overhead presentation. Be careful to whom you present...

A joke: There are 3 ways for a man to ruin his life:

Gambling, Women & Automation

• Gambling is the fastest
    • Women are the most pleasurable and
    • Automation the most certain

Another one

George Best, the first soccer superstar, made a fortune and then went broke. He was asked how it was possible to spend so much money so quickly: "Well, I spent a lot on women and fast cars. The rest I just wasted".

WINNERS & LOSERS  

A WINNER says, "Lets find out",

A LOSER says, "Nobody knows"

When a WINNER makes a mistake, he/she says,

"I was wrong"

When a LOSER makes a mistake, he/she says,

" It wasn't my fault"

A WINNER credits his/her "good luck" for winning

(even though it isn't good luck)

A LOSER blames his/her "bad luck" for losing

(even though it isn't bad luck)

A WINNER works harder than a loser and has more time.

A LOSER is always "too busy" to do what is necessary.

•  

A WINNER makes commitments.

A LOSER makes promises.

A WINNER says, "I'm good, but not as good as I ought to be"

A LOSER says "I'm not as bad as a lot of other people"

A WINNER makes commitments.

A LOSER makes promises.

A WINNER says, "I'm good, but not as good as I ought to be"

A LOSER says "I'm not as bad as a lot of other people"

RISING TO THE TOP

11 COMMANDMENTS

1: WATCH THE DOINGS OF THE SUCCESSFUL COLLEAGUES

Especially, to discover the things superior management value, which should be given priority over those that go unrecognised, however useful.

Of the rest, The next three are linked and fairly self explanatory:

2. PHASE DOWN FEAR OF FAILURE

3. IGNORE PERSONAL LIMITATIONS

Hard work usually compensates.

4. WHATEVER IT IS, DO IT NOW

5. BE PREPARED TO SACRIFICE FAMILY LIFE

One way to ease the strain of absence, is to be extra communicative when present.

Then comes two items of purely personal sacrifice:

6. ABANDON THE NEED OF PRAISE

"Competitors don't believe in praise and especially don't see the need to praise other competitors.... They might, however, find other ways to show their approval."

7. ABANDON SELF-IMPORTANCE

"You will have to accept teasing, defers to other people's opinions and, most of all, to listen when you feel like speaking."

8. AVIOD MARTYRDOM

Particularly by working harder to make up for incompetent bosses or colleagues.

9. ASK FOR PERMISSION ONLY WHEN STRICTLY NECESSARY

10. BE DECISIVE

Which need not entail being prudently analytical beforehand.

"It's not so much what you decide, It's what you do after you decide that's important. That's what makes it into the right or wrong decision"

11. HOW TO COMPETE WITH THE COMPETITORS

The 'cult of wining' that tends to dominate top managements has costs as well as benefits

SOME VALUABLE THOUGHTS II

PEOPLE

• Have real & sincere interest in people
    • Smile at people
    • People's name is the nicest sound in their language
    • Listen attentively and encourage people to talk about themselves
    • Talk about subjects that are of interest of people
    • Make people feel important and admire them sincerely

HAPPINESS

• Be in good mood
    • Live and let live
    • Respect people's lifestyle